Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Day 62: It's Almost Derby Time in Kentucky

As a true southern belle, I take much pride in my heritage. I take my sweet tea extra sweet with a lemon on the side. My fried chicken must also come with a buttery biscuit and hearty helping of mashed potatoes. Athens, Savannah and my hometown of Sylvester have my heart, while Georgia will forever be on my mind. I like sundresses, football on Saturdays and big wide-brimmed hats. As you see, my pride is pretty wide, just like the Crimson Tide, if you know what I mean. I've always had a keen fascination for the South, as it as always had one for me. Even though I've grown up and thrived down here in the midst of humidity and fields of peanuts, there are still so many places i want to visit and so many things I want to do. One in particular, the Kentucky Derby. 


I may not be a Kentucky gal who grew up around studs and mares, but I do know a good time when i see one. I think my biggest fascination with the Derby isn't so much the horses, jockeys or race itself, but the culture, the couture, especially the big, decorated hats. For so many years now, I've watched the pre-race ceremonies and coverage. I've seen the vast amount of fashionable hats, adorned with feathers, flowers and even sequins. It's a go big, go home kind of scenario when choosing the perfect hat for race day. One day, I'll be there, big hat and all. But, until then, I'll stay seated in front of the TV and watch intently, admiring the fashion. I'll also be sure to have a classic southern drink in hand. I know this blog is dedicated to weight loss and healthy living, but we all need that one day of cheating right? Now that may be the devil talking, but hey, we're not perfect. 


One of my favorite magazines, Cosmopolitan, posted an article on Twitter about the 23 best cocktails to serve on the day of the Derby. And since the race takes place in Kentucky, well who could serve a drink without bourbon? Here are three of my favorite Kentucky Derby-themed cocktails via Cosmopolitan. 


Triple Crown Julep

4 oz. Basil Hayden's Bourbon
4 chopped strawberries
10 leaves
4 lemon wedges
1 oz. water
2 tbsp. brown sugar
Garnish: mint sprig and strawberry

Muddle brown sugar and water in a cocktail shaker until sugar dissolves. Add chopped strawberries, lemon wedges, and mint leaves, and muddle well. Pour bourbon and add ice. Shake vigorously and strain cocktail over crushed ice. Garnish with a mint sprig and strawberry.

Source: Joy Perrine, Mixologist

Raising Raspberry Stakes


1½ oz. Basil Hayden's Bourbon
3 basil leaves
6 raspberries
1 tbsp. sugar
Sparkling water



Muddle basil, raspberries, sugar, and bourbon in the bottom of a glass. Add ice and top with sparkling water. Garnish with raspberries.


Source: Flex Mussels 

Frisky Whiskey
1 oz. Maker's Mark Bourbon Whiskey
1 oz. Barenjager Honey Liqueur
1 oz. orange juice
¼ simple syrup
2 dashes of bitters
Garnish: lemon wedge

To make simple syrup, mix equal oz. hot water and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice, shake, and pour into a glass. Garnish with a lemon wedge.

Source: CHAYA Downtown


No comments:

Post a Comment