In my 24 years on this earth, I never even dreamed of accomplishing the task of completing a 5k race. I'm an avid power walker, but the thought of jogging or running just gives me the shivers. Probably because of the fact that the good Lord blessed me in the cleavage area, and I was (and still am) shy and insecure of pulling a Pamela Anderson/Baywatch scenario. Nevertheless, the thought of a 5k just made me cringe. My opinion changed at the beginning of this year.
When I was in New Hampshire back in January, I made a New Year's resolution that this year, 2012, was going to be full of accomplishment, fulfilled dreams and many spontaneous ventures. It was almost like I made a personal bucket list for this year. Besides leaving the past behind me in 2011, one of my first tasks was finally deciding to lose weight by joining Weight Watchers. So far, minus a few bumps in the road, it's been quite successful, and I'm not even done yet. But, I knew there were other things that I sought after. Little did I know a 5k race was one of them.
My cousin and very dear friend, Maegan, had posted an article about this interesting 5k race called The Color Run. Usually, I'd just glance at it and go about my social media business. But something about this race caught my eye. It wasn't just any other 5k with runners and water stations at every kilometer. This race was different. It not only benefitted a great charitable cause, but also involved a pretty unique element--you guessed it, color. As soon as I read about this event, I knew I immediately wanted to do it, but not by myself, of course. I told several of my close friends about it, and they were just as excited about it as I was. Now, let me tell you something about my friends. We're always up for adventure, excitement and random acts of fun. The Color Run was definitely up our alley, especially with the randomness. The decision was made. We were 5k bound. And so Team 'Neature Walkers' was born!
The race spots filled up pretty quickly. I had lot of close friends who were suppose to participate with us, but weren't able to because all of the spots had filled up unfortunately. For those who were able to sign up in time, The Color Run was all we could talk about. Even the name of our team was debated for awhile. By the way, for those of you wondering, our team name was based off of a YouTube video, which is quite hilarious. Once we finally decided on a name, it was time to discuss attire. Of course, we had to wear white in order to be properly doused with a rainbow of color. But how could we stand out among other teams? Let's just put it this way--white sunglasses, white tube socks and white headbands.
Since I had never done a 5k, I had all intentions of training. From walking daily to doing squats and other leg strengthening exercises, I had this whole routine planned out all of the way up to race day. Did I stick to it? Hell no. I never once prepared for this race. But honestly, I wasn't too worried. I wasn't planning to jog or run so 3.1 miles wouldn't be hard to walk right?
Up until race day, I hadn't been nervous. But as soon as we hopped on MARTA to midtown Atlanta, I started to get worried. What if I couldn't make it? What if my back started hurting again like it always had when I walked too much? What about leg or calf cramps? The inner worry wart was quite present that morning. But as soon as we got to Piedmont Park, where the event was held, all nervousness passed, and I was pumped.
Time to get my color on!
Lining up with 10,000 other people in white was pretty incredible. We were all energized and ready to take on every single color that came our way. From white tutus to elaborate white whigs, everyone was decked out in their best white attire. I must say, I had this feeling I couldn't shake. And I honestly didn't want it to go away. It was pure happiness. No wonder the slogan for The Color Run is 'The Happiest 5k on the Planet.' And I wasn't the only one happy. 10,000 people in all white plus spectators and event goers were just as happy. And not to mention the weather was perfect. partly cloudy skies and a cool breeze made the walk amazing.
As we lined up, we anxiously awaited our turn to start the race. Every five minutes, the announcer would let about 2,000 runners go. We were in the fourth or fifth heat. At first, I power walked. But as soon as everyone around me began jogging, I said to hell with it and joined in. It wasn't bad at all. Refreshing actually. But, I didn't want to exhaust myself so soon so I slowed down and kept a steady pace.
First came yellow, then green, blue, pink and then last but not least, purple (Essentially in that order). Going through each color was definitely one of those moments in life, where you can help but smile and be happy to be alive and well. Every care in the world went out the window. And in that moment, I didn't feel like 200+ pounds. I felt normal and healthy. As I took in a deep breath of fresh air mixed heavily with color, I smiled. I smiled for so many reasons. For being given the opportunity to participate in this event. For the ability to make a huge step towards becoming more healthy. For stepping out of my comfort zone and trying something new. And I could honestly go on describing the many different things I felt. For once in a long time, I was blissfully happy. Single, beautiful, sexy and most importantly, free and decked out in bright colors. Refreshing huh?
From laughing with my close friends to making color rain all over the streets of Atlanta, I have so many wonderful memories of that day. And though that whole day still vividly exists in my memory, I'd have to say the most rewarding part of that day was crossing the 'Finish Line.' I had gone out and conquered something I would have never considered doing several years ago. I was proud of myself, and still am. The color was a pain to get off, but totally worth it.
I'll definitely be attending next year :)
XoXo,
DJH

No comments:
Post a Comment