Monday, February 6, 2012

Day 22: Jot 'Em Down

Happy Monday readers!

One day down, four more to go until the weekend. Sadly enough, my Pats didn't win the Super Bowl last night. Although I'm disappointed with the outcome, I must admit they had a great season. Can't wait to see what next year brings for New England! On a positive note, I want to share a bit of good news with all of you. I lost 4.8 more pounds this week :) A very successful week I must say after having gained 2 pounds from the previous weekly weight-in. If you're having weight fluctuation or aren't losing as much as you'd like, hang in there. Whatever you do, do not give up! Stick to your plan and you'll be at your weight loss goal in no time.

In tonight's weekly Weight Watchers meeting, the meeting leader, Mary, discussed the value of tracking. For those of you who are avid Weight Watcher attendees or have completed the program before, you already know what 'tracking points' means. But for those of you who are new to this concept, tracking is the process of writing down every single piece of food or drink that you consume on a daily basis, including each food's point value and balancing out your daily points allowance. From breakfast to dinner and all the snacks in between, you keep a track record of everything, including the not so healthy foods. On the Weight Watcher plan, it is crucial to keep a daily track of your meals and snacks in order to keep up with your daily points. But for those of you on your own creative diets, tracking may seem pointless. That's where you're wrong.

Instead of focusing on the idea of tracking tonight, I'd like to discuss the value of simply writing stuff down. Kind of ironic huh since I am a writer? Actually, you don't have to be a writer to write. All it takes is a piece of notebook paper, a pen or a lap top or desktop computer, whichever method you prefer. Whether you keep a personal journal for your eyes only or choose to follow my path and blog your progress to the World Wide Web, that decision is solely up to you. The idea is to log about your journey. To express the ups, to rant about the downs. Writing down every single thought, feeling and emotion on paper or a word document is more helpful than you may think.

For me, this blog not only represents a way to use my journalism skills and give advice, but a writing mechanism for my personal benefit. Though this blog is for the public eye to see, I still have and will share personal facts and info about myself. I didn't choose this self-expression to gain sympathy or attention. I did this for me, and me only. This was a way I would be held accountable for my actions. Though my determination had already gotten me in the mood to shed the pounds, logging on to my computer every day and writing a blog post gives me that extra boost I need in order to achieve my nirvana of losing weight. I love to write and express myself so why not incorporate a passion with a goal? For those of you who don't care to pursue the blog route, that's perfectly fine. Go to Walmart, buy a spiral notebook and jot down those innermost thoughts, positive or negative. This way you're more comfortable with sharing and expressing yourself with fear of possible judgement from others.

Want to know why I believe writing everything down is helpful? Writing down negative thoughts is more likely to keep you out of the frig. Self-expression is just like any other coping mechanism. Instead of bottling up things that are bothering you, release it through words on a page. If you feel you don't have time to write a journal or keep a blog, make time. You'll be surprised how much better you'll feel afterwards. Not to mention, you won't be caught with your fingers crammed into the Ben & Jerry's ice cream next time you're sad or depressed.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to comment :)

~DJH

No comments:

Post a Comment