Statistics are more than just numbers. They're beyond the decimals and percentages found on a page in a science textbook or labels on an online chart. Those numbers represent a certain population, an individual surveyed. While most of us think that statistics don't affect us, seem fairly meaningless and are somehow false information, take a step closer and read between the...well numbers.
Specifically, statistics on weight is no joke. There's nothing false about it. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "one-third of U.S. adults, about 33.8 percent, are obese. And, approximately 17 percent, or 12.5 million, of children and adolescents aged two to 19 years of age are obese." Wow, that's scary! The CDC continues to report that "during the past 20 years, there has been a dramatic increase in obesity in the United States and rates remain high. In 2010, no state had a prevalence of obesity less than 20 percent. 36 states had a prevalence of 25 percent or more; 12 of these states, including Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and West Virginia had a prevalence of 30 percent or more." Notice how most of these include a lot of the Southeast region? Blame that on all the deep fried foods and sweet tea.
A few years ago, these statistics never seem to even phase me. I knew I was overweight, obese from a medical standpoint. But why didn't I care? In my mind, I figured well we're all going to die one day so why not enjoy the foods that I love and not worry about keeping my body in shape. Not to mention, my future husband won't care about my outward appearance if he really loves me. It's whats on the inside that counts. Um, wrong. It took me awhile, but I finally realized the severity of my situation. And I'm not talking about trying to catch a husband. I'm referring to maintaining good health. If I had kept on the path to self destruction by constantly consuming whatever, whenever I wanted, I may be laying in a coffin at an early age due to heart issues or any other serious health problem. Not to mention, diabetes is common in my family. That lifestyle isn't what I wanted for myself. I want to be that timeless southern spitfire who may appear to be sweet, but if you get her temper running high, she'll smack you with her cane and smile politely once she's beat you. I want to be lounging in a rocking chair on a huge wrap around porch watching my grandchildren play games of make believe and reminisce about the days when I use to let my imagination run wild and free. I want to live well past 80 years old. But would fried chicken, chocolate cake and Coca Cola help me to that age? I think not.
So I wised up, and here I am.
I don't want to be another statistic. I want to be one of the 'others' who did something about their weight problems. As I've said many times and I'll say it till I'm blue in the face, I did this for myself. I'm not doing this weight loss journey for my concerned family/friends, a future husband. This is solely for me and my well-being. I'm doing this for me, but I'm doing it the right way. Time to get on my soap box for a minute: (Before I started back on Weight Watchers, I had tried vitamins and diet pills. Let me warn you, don't go that route, especially with Adipex. For months, I was able to shed the pounds no problem and suppress my appetite, but the only thing I gained was all the weight back, plus I screwed up hormones. From someone who knows, do it the old-fashion way. It's so much more rewarding.) Okay, I'm done!
Are you in the same boat as me? Weighing in as an obese American living in the United States? Do you want to become more than just a statistic? My best advice is do something about it. Talk to your doctor or health care physician to devise a strategy that fits your lifestyle. Or try Weight Watchers, which has been a great success for many, including myself. Do what is best for YOU. Take back control of your life and kick those pounds ass.
Sources:
www.livestrong.com
www.cdc.gov/obesity
~DJH
No comments:
Post a Comment