Can any of you relate to my equation? More than likely, yes you can.
Like children, we are pros at make-believe and pretend. We are pros at compiling a long list of reasons why we so called 'can't' work out or fit some form of exercise into our daily routines. Here are a few of my favorites (and ones I've used quite often):
- I don't have time in my daily schedule.
- I'm too tired from a busy day at work.
- All of my cute workout clothes are dirty.
- It's too rainy or messy outside to even workout.
- My iPod is dead.
Please Excuse Me, But: I don't have time in my daily schedule.
Is that so? What do you call 'busy'? Watching your favorite late night drama on HBO? Or lunch and shopping with your close girl friend? Or how about reading that new thrilling novel you just bought at Barnes and Noble? Busted. If you have time for the little pleasures in life, you also have time for other things like Pilates or a nice two mile walk.
Busted:
Try these three different things--First, don't think of exercise as work, but a function of your every day routine. Choose stairs over an elevator, or choose to walk instead of taking the bus or drive. Second, trade in a 30-minute workout for 10-minute exercise intervals. That way you're less likely to get burnout and over exhausted. Lastly, allow exercise to be a main priority each day. Just like going to work or school, exercise should be marked high on your list of things to do.
Please Excuse Me, But: It's way too difficult.
Like my daddy always told me, "can't never could." Well I don't know about you, but I believe him. Instead of looking at the glass half full, look at it half empty, or in this case, look at there is less to drink. I 'can't' do yoga, but I 'can' do Pilates or swim laps at the local YMCA.
Busted:
Do the cringe at the word 'exercise'? Instead of using formal terms such as 'fitness' or 'exercise', extend your vocabulary for words that get you pumped about working out. Or do what most women do, grab a buddy and bitch. I use to do it all the time, but I met Apple iPod. Now, I won't let anyone come between mine and his close relationship in the gym.
Please Excuse Me, But: My bodies not comfortable.
Are you the type of person who likes to prove others wrong? Yep, that's me too! Whenever I first started back working out, I pushed myself the first day. Weights, walking, step aerobics, you name it, I did it. The next day, my whole entire body hated me, and I was unable to workout for a week and a half.
Busted:
Don't push your bodies natural limits. If it starts to hurt, stop immediately. One small move could lead to a larger problem that could cost you expensive doctor visit and perhaps surgery. Try exercises that suit what your body can do. For joint problems, try water aerobics. Lower pain pains? Yoga. Also, dress appropriately. Wear proper fitness shoes that fit your feet and provide comfort. Wear clothes that allow your body to breathe and produce sweat instead of constricting it.
Please Excuse Me, But: I'm too intimidated.
Have you ever walked into the weight room full of muscular, hunky men and wanted to run the other way? Or passed a model-like woman on the sidewalk, running in the opposite direction? Pretty intimidating huh? For those of us who are a little self-conscious about working out in front of others, it can be very frightening and hinder an entire workout plan.
Busted:
Get your sexy back by boosting that confidence. The only true way you can feel less intimidated in the gym is to walk in with your head held high and know you are absolutely beautiful. You are doing something about your weight, not sitting at home eating a candy bar or Doritos. Also remember, most of those so called 'fit and pretty' people in the gym were once in your shoes before. And more than likely, they aren't paying you and your workout abilities are attention. Another way to feel more confident on the outside is to dress the part with cute workout attire. There is nothing wrong with wearing fashionable Nike apparel to the gym. P.S., I'll wear my pearl earrings and makeup on.
Please Excuse Me, But: I have no clue what I'm doing.
Me either.
Busted:
I know how to power walk on the treadmill, bike and swim. But there are certain areas of the gym I'm not very familiar with, such as free weights. That's why I enlisted the help of my sister's boyfriend, Graydon. With his extensive weight room knowledge, I was able to do correct lifts without looking like a complete idiot. Another piece of advice is to watch how-to videos. Whether it's a Youtube video or interactive website, there are plenty of how-to videos available for all of us exercise dummies.
Please Excuse Me, But: I'm so bored!
Jogging on a treadmill or using the elliptical machine for 30+ minutes can be pretty boring. Nothing but you and the machine that's running beneath your feet. A boring workout = a painful workout.
Busted:
Entertain yourself. I use my iPod to keep me entertained. With the tunes pumping loud, I'm motivated and concentrated on the music instead of the activity I'm doing. It passes the time pretty quickly. You may also choose to watch your favorite sitcom on your flat screen TV or chosen tablet you may own. Or if you don't want to involve technology, try changing your scenery. Opt to go for a jog in your local park instead of on the treadmill at the gym. Or try other outdoor activities that allow you to enjoy nature and it's mysterious beauty.
After all of these six busts, you should now have no more excuses why you shouldn't be up in the gym. If you're still unsure, look at these five positive attributes Weight Watchers also included in the article:
- It's good for your heart, immune system and bones.
- Exercise is a stress reliever. (Told you!)
- It allows you to sleep better at night.
- You'll have less fatigue and more energy.
- And last, but most certainly not least, you'll lose weight and keep it off.
XoXo,
DJH
Love it! So guilty of all this- but once you start its like you cant stop!
ReplyDelete