Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 29: Dining Out The Right Way

Happy Monday readers!

I'm almost back to good health after a rocky weekend of sneezes, coughs and one hell of a runny nose (TMI I know!). Besides almost being back to normal, I wanted to share some more good news. I lost 3.8 more pounds this past week, which puts me at a total of 13 pounds gone :) In Weight Watchers terms, I've reached my first five percent weight loss goal. Yay me! I'm very excited about it, and to reward myself, I plan to do a little celebratory shopping this weekend. Maybe a new outfit or pair of shoes? Who knows! And though I still have a long way to go before I reach my ultimate goal, I'm still just as proud of myself and my -13 pound accomplishment. If you've lost 5, 10 or even 15 pounds, go you! You're doing great. For those of you who are struggling, hang in there and don't give up.

Now, on to blog-type matters.

How many of your dine out regularly? Instead of slaving away in the kitchen, you give in, press a few numbers and place a delivery order to a local pizza place. I'm sure most of you can agree that's a whole lot easier than buying ingredients, mixing them and baking until perfection. In tonight's Weight Watcher meeting, the group leader, Mary, discussed ways to eat out at our favorite restaurants, but still stick to our dietary plans. Still having a hard time resisting that favorite appetizer sampler or main dish? That's okay, I'm here to help. With the help of the knowledge from tonight's meeting, plus a little online research on Livestrong.com and personal experience, here are seven helpful tips to stay healthy while you're out to eat:
  1. Stay away from the bread and butter. Typically placed on the table following drink orders, filling up on many slices of bread and butter can add many calories to your diet. Same goes for complementary tortilla chips and salsa at many Mexican restaurants. For bread, limit yourself to one slice with no butter or politely ask your server to not bring any bread to the table period. As for chips and salsa, limit yourself to a few by breaking the chips up into smaller pieces. That way it appears that you are eating more and won't be as hungry. Self control is vital in these situations as well. If all else fails, do like I do and keep your glass of water with lemon close by. It'll fill you up more so than you think.
  2. Pass on ordering an appetizer. From stuffed potato skins to fried mozzarella, restaurants offer a variety of fattening foods that aren't healthy for us. The best advice is to not order anything from the menu for an appetizer unless it's a small salad. But remember, croutons, cheese, bacon pieces and salad dressings don't make even a small salad healthy. Ask for all high-fat toppings to be removed and put your dressing on the side.
  3. Stick to drinking water. Instead of ordering a glass of sweet tea or Coca-cola, opt to drink water. Water will keep you more hydrated without additional calories than other beverages. To add a taste of extra flavor, ask the server for lemons or limes.
  4. Order foods with more 'positive' meanings. For example, try to avoid any foods associated with the words: 'Au gratin', 'scalloped', 'battered/breaded', 'crispy', 'dipped', 'sauteed', 'sizzling' or 'tempura'. These foods are more than likely cooked with a large amount of excess fats. Instead, choose foods that are 'baked', 'broiled', 'grilled', 'steamed', 'poached', 'roasted' or 'boiled'. Cooked differently, but same great flavor.
  5. Choose veggies. Usually, meals come with a side item of french fries or loaded mashed potatoes. Instead, ask your server to substitute with fresh, steamed vegetables. Though it may cost an additional price, it'll be worth it in the end.
  6. Control your portions. Restaurant portions can be very large, especially for those of us use to measuring our serving sizes perfectly. Split your meal. Most restaurant meals contain at least two servings. To avoid eating an entire plate of food, half your meal with a friend or ask your server for a to-go box as soon as your meal is delivered to the table. Cut the meal in half and put one half in the box before you begin eating.The other half can be eaten as another meal the next day.
  7. Skip dessert. Period. Though the New York cheesecake with blueberries or the hot fudge sundae looks delicious, the calories and fat don't. Avoid looking at the dessert menu so you won't be tempted to order.
See, not so hard huh? Next time you go out to your favorite restaurant with your friends or family, stick to these rules and you won't steer off the weight loss path.

XoXo,
DJH

No comments:

Post a Comment